Friday, November 13, 2009

Friday the 13th


In Spain, Tuesday the 13th has a bad omen. So in October we had one of those. I never really worried about the date before. That is before our ride yesterday. We decided to go on a long ride. My idea of long and Cory's idea of long were 2 very different things. I was ready to turn around, but he kept wanting to go just a bit farther to see the sheep on the church lawn and then just a little farther to see the cows all over the road and then just to the next village. The cows here are so cute. I'm not kidding. They are a different breed and their faces are adorable, but they have horns. At one point I didn't think we were going to get past one of they. She just stood there in the middle of the road chewing her cud. I had to actually throw a rock at her rear end. I knew that would get her to move one direction or the other and I was hoping it wasn't going to be forward.
By the time we turned around, it was getting dark and it had taken us almost 3 hours to get to this point. So we started pedaling faster and the wind was at our back and we were flying until psshhhh, I got a flat. I never get flats. Really, in all the time I've ridden I have had only 2 flats. Cory, however, gets them constantly so he's fast at changing them. No problem. then not 5 minutes later, he gets a flat. This time we use our last CO2 and decide we'd better not throw away the old tube because we have 40 km to go and no one in sight. I'm rationing my food and water because I'm planning on having to stay out here while Cory rides back into town and gets the car to come rescue me. But no worries, we got home just before it was pitch black and all was well. It really was a beautiful ride. Oh, I left out the part when I was coming downhill, taking up both lanes cuz there had't been a car in over an hour, when bam, there was a car on the curve headed straight for me. I barely made the turn without plowing right into the side of it. Scared the driver to death I'm sure.

No comments: