Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Marrakech, Morrocco


We just got back from a pretty exciting adventure in Marrakech. Marrakech is only a 1 1/2 hour plane ride from Madrid and yet it is completely different than Spain. The market there is very famous and we spent hours and hours just walking around the square as well as the many different little streets leading off the square where every square inch was taken up by very aggressive venders trying to get you to buy anything. The only difference between these guys and the ones in China was that these yelled "Hey, Madame" instead of "Hey, Lady".
One of the best things there was the vendors selling fresh squeezed OJ for $.35 a glass. It was incredible and I lost track on how many glasses we drank. The bartering is pretty fun too, especially when they start out at 250 DH and you offer 40 DH because that's what you are willing to pay. And you usually get what you want except for the time the guy just took the scarf right off Cory's head and told him to leave. That material must have been pretty special cuz he wanted a fortune for it. Yea, Cory is now wearing a Moroccan robe, a head scarf, and has a man purse that he never leaves the house without . This is not the man you knew 3 months ago. And he seems very comfortable with the change, too.
The other awesome thing we did was ride camels. How cool is that? I'm mesmerized by camels. I love to watch them walk and see their feet move and I think their faces are so great. But now I have a new profound appreciation for people who had to cross the dessert riding them for hours on end. We didn't have stir-ups and I don't know if you are supposed to have them. It would be a good idea. The saddle was very cushy, but also very wide and it was like doing the splits for 2 hours. It was a great experience, though.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Did you know I was born in Casablanca, Morocco? Haven't been back since I was two, but I also rode a camel then and have a picture to prove it!

Lynette Borup said...

I knew at one point, but I've forgotten that. There was a 2 year old lillte girl on our expedition, too, and she was hilarious.